A yummy vegetarian recipe to try would be the Pralined Sweet Potatoes.
- 3-4 sweet potatoes or yams, pre-cooked
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- dash salt
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/3 cup brown sugar OR maple syrup
- 2 tbsp vegan margarine
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- dash nutmeg (optional)
Peel sweet potatoes and mash together with orange juice, ginger powder and salt. Spoon into casserole dish or deep baking pan.
In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, pecans, sugar and margarine until well combined. Spoon this mixture over the sweet potatoes.
Sprinkle the top with cinnamon and nutmeg, if desired.
Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees.
This recipe is high fiber, unique, but rather tasty if you are one for Barley and Feta Stuffed Artichokes . :)
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 large artichokes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/3 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 ounces crumbled feta cheese
In small saucepan with lid bring water to a boil. Add barley and return to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
Rinse artichokes. Cut off stems at base and remove small bottom leaves. Stand artichokes upright in deep saucepan, just large enough to hold snugly. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 2 to 3 inches boiling water to artichokes. Cover and boil gently for 35 to 45 minutes or until artichoke bases can be pierced easily with fork. (Add more boiling water if necessary.)
Remove artichokes from saucepan; turn upside down to drain and cool. When cool, gently spread artichoke leaves to reveal center cone of leaves. Pull out center cone; discard. Scrape out any purple-tipped leaves and fuzz from each artichoke center; discard.
Combine cooked barley, cucumber, bell pepper, almonds and green onion in medium bowl. Mix together remaining ingredients and toss with barley mixture. Refrigerate barley for 30 minutes.
Spoon equal amounts of chilled barley mixture into centers of artichokes and serve. Makes 4 entrée servings.
Some other must try recipes:
Grilled Boneless Chicken Breasts with Orange Raspberry Glaze
2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast
Ingredients: Orange-Raspberry Glaze:
1/4 cup raspberry preserves
1/4 cup orange marmalade
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
1 small shallot, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon thyme
1. Preheat grill to medium heat.
2. In small bowl, combine raspberry preserves, orange marmalade, shallot, garlic, vinegar and ginger until well blended.
3. Grill boneless-skinless chicken breasts, turning occasionally and brushing with glaze, 15 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted in center registers 170°F. Note: Do not brush during the last 5 minutes of grilling.
Makes 4 servings
Grilled Pepper and Sage Boneless Chicken Breasts
2 lbs. boneless chicken breast
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon fresh sage leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
1. Preheat medium-hot grill.
2. In medium bowl, whisk together lemon juice, cracked black pepper, sage, garlic, olive oil and salt until blended.
4. Grill or broil chicken, turning occasionally and basting mixture, 20 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted in center registers 170°F. Note: Do not baste during the last 5 minutes of grilling.
Makes 2 to 3 servings
Fruit Glazed Ham
- 1 - 6 to 8 pound fully cooked boneless ham
- 1 can (15 oz.) crushed pineapple, drained
- 2/3 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ginger
- 2/3 cup flaked coconut
- Place the ham in an open roasting pan.
- Cover loosely with foil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325° for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, mix the crushed pineapple, orange marmalade, lemon juice, cinnamon and ginger together in small saucepan.
- Cook over medium low heat for about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in the coconut.
- Spread the glaze over the ham.
- Bake for 20 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven, cover loosely with foil and let stand for about 10 minutes before slicing.
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to comment. It's always fascinating to know that people read what I write.